Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bah!

Ok so after the third failed attempt to do the 30 Day Shred thing I just can't seem to remember to do it everyday. Not going to try it again just yet. Going to start running again instead. Much more flexible and doesn't have to be done everyday which allows for life to happen.

Now that that piece of information is out of the way let me update you on the rest of my holidays! The 2 days that followed my last holiday post were filled with yummy foods, teaching my dog to catch a disk (which is still a work in progress) and reading...copious amounts of reading! On day 4 of holidays I took Tuli for a 2.5 hour long walk on the trails around my mom's house...holy crap there are a good amount of trails in her small neighboring campsite! I could have stayed out there all day! I happened upon the most beautiful beach while we were out. It was a natural beach that wasn't used all that often. So pretty with it's sandy, grassy vastness. The only footprints on it that day were mine and Tuli's. The only downside that I could see was that the shoreline in the area was marshy/reedy which is probably why the beach was not used. Their loss! The next time I'm up there I'm going to take a book out there to read. :D When Mom got home we capped the day off with a fire and some drinks in the back yard.

The Thursday consisted of reading on the deck in the sunshine. Around 2 or so I kind of noticed that I could smell smoke but didn't really think anything of it. About an hour later a deer happened to crash through my mom's woodpile knocking it over. When I walked over to re-stack it I found the reason for the fire. Mom's fire pit had ignited a root underneath it that proceeded to burn out the side and into the yard a little ways! Holy moly talk about scary! What if I hadn't been there? Mom was packing that evening and was going to be packing the next evening too. I doubt she would have noticed it before she went on her holidays! Eeek!

It took me 2 hours with a garden hose to get the fire out. By the time I was done the fire pit was completely dismantled and the roots exposed/dug up slightly. Mom and I spent the rest of the day digging out the root system under it and rebuilding it. The victory fire was the best fire ever. She has a lower, smaller pit but this one is safe at least.

Overall I'm sad that my holidays are over but I have another week off coming up before the wedding to recharge again. Should be a wonderful thing.

Stay posted for an update on my last weekend before going back to work!

Bye for now. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment