Saturday, October 24, 2015

One Year Update!

Wow I can't believe it's been a year. Yes yes I know that's very cliche but there's a reason so many people react this way to their baby's first birthday. This past year has gone SO fast and Maddox is getting SO big! This boy is 19 lbs already. Still on the little side but big for him.

Birthday Party Shot. 


Maddox has been eating solids really well. He literally eats anything that we put in front of him so far. He loves pasta with any kind of sauce. He's not a huge fan of chicken or veggies. He does not eat much for raw vegetables yet. He loves eggs, toast, and pancakes but is not a huge fan of bacon (more for me!). He so far does not really like beef (roast specifically) and hasn't had much pork yet as I don't cook pork (except bacon yum!). In the past week Maddox has learned how to eat off of a plate, drink from a cup while holding it himself and drink from a straw. Go go little man!

For his birthday we did the obligatory cake smash. I made a banana cake (and cupcakes) with this amazing whipped cream cheese frosting. They were soo tasty! Thank you to my mom for taking pictures for us!

Maddox's mini cake.

First Taste

Cake smashing is hard work


Breast Feeding

This boy is weaning himself (cry). My primary goal was to go to 1 year and we made it that far. My secondary goal was 2 years. Health Canada recommends giving babies breast milk until  they are 2 years old so I was to follow his lead but set a cut off age of 2 years. Well about 2 months ago he started to wean on his own. We used to nurse after every nap and first thing in the morning as well as before bed. Over about 2 weeks Maddox stopped nursing during the day. He was just not interested so I eventually stopped offering. He held onto the morning nursing session until recently. I think about 3 weeks ago we stopped that one he just wasn't interested anymore. And just last week he started to not want to nurse before bed. In the past 5 days he's nursed before bed once. He does still nurse once overnight which I am totally ok with because we don't get much for cuddles these days. Boy is busy!

EDIT: As I'm proof reading this and procrastinating on finishing and posting it Maddox is pretty much completely weaned. Last night he woke and I offered the boob but he only sucked like 3 times on each side. He got practically nothing. I think we may be done. :( Boo yay!


Sleeping

Sleeping is going really really well! He still has 2 naps a day. The first nap is usually from 11-1ish and his second nap is from 3:30 or 4 until about 5. He's been going down really easy for this week. Just put him down and walk away. Bedtime is still at 7 and he's usually up for the day between 8 and 9.

Bedtime is usually a bit different. If he had a really messy supper we give him a bath. Usually at about 6;30. After his bath we brush his teeth, put on his jammies and sleep sack, read him a story and then snuggle for as long as he'll let us. It's usually less than a minute but I'll take what I can get. Then we put him down with his soother and walk away. He puts himself to sleep really well. He will generally wake up between midnight and 3 to nurse and then sleeps right through.



Favorite things

Right now Maddox's favorite things include his bunny and his penguin (and still his blanky of course). He also loves to talk while he's eating including having yelling matches with Mommy or Daddy.

He likes to do things randomly if he hears a word he knows in the conversation. For example if we are talking about someone jumping when he hears the word "jumping" he will like half squat and kind of jump back up. He can't jump off the ground yet but he sure tries. Other words he responds to are bye bye, he will wave bye; kisses, he will give you a very messy, all tongue kiss; bonk, he will bonk his forehead into yours.

He has also started to "shake his booty" courtesy of one of the girls I take care of. lol If you tell him to shake it he will stick his bum out and kind of pop back up. So funny.


Scary things

The only thing that scares him consistently is the sound of ripping a piece of duct tape off of the roll. Otherwise he's a pretty happy boy.

Well that's about all we have had going on since the last update. Thanks for reading my random ramblings.

Later all.





No comments:

Post a Comment